1.06.2012

Change...It's Happening

I've decided that I don't need to be at home anymore.  It has been made clear that it's time for me to grow up.  So I'll be moving out tomorrow.  I'll be moving in with my aunt and uncle.  They are some pretty awesome people.  I'm glad I have a place to go.

This is all happening for a few reasons.  A couple months ago, I was asked by my cousin in Ohio if I wanted to be her nanny.  I said yes and started making plans to leave in May.  Well, after some thought and prayer, I realized that I had agreed much too quickly and for the wrong reasons.  I was afraid of what I might face in Oklahoma as a lesbian.  Things are getting better for us, but we are far from ideal.  I realized that if I ever wanted to see change in my beloved home state, I have to be here to fight the good fight.  Everything that I was running from would have followed me anyway.  It's time to face the music.  Stand up.  Make a change.

I also think it is time for me to move out of small-town America.  While it's a lovely place to raise a family, we are a bunch of Bible-thumpers...and not the nice kind.  I love my home town, don't get me wrong.  But sometimes we have to leave the things we love in order to stay safe, sane, and healthy.  Moving to OKC will not solve all my problems, but it will help expose me to a different group of people.  I will be close to the Paseo Arts District and that's really exciting for a whole lot of reasons.  The best thing for me, though, is the fact that I will be able to be a part of a community of LGBT people.  Being gay is not the only part of my life, but it is a part of my life and it will be nice to have a bigger support group.  I've come to the realization that I need to have community in my life.  I can't do this alone anymore.  It's just too hard and too painful.  People can be frustrating sometimes, but I need them to survive.

On a much lighter note, it will be better for Chowder (my puppy).  Uncle Ronnie and Mel have a fenced in back yard and a dog who needs a playmate.  It will be nice for her to have someone to play with her while I'm gone.

This may not be a very deep blog or a very long blog, but it's what's on my heart tonight.  More to come tomorrow or the next day.

1 comment: